Current is a water technology innovation platform that delivers advanced research and market-driven innovations to enhance water resources, build resilience and drive sustainable economic growth by bridging gaps in water technology commercialization. Current connects utilities, industry, research institutions, and entrepreneurs in the water economy to solve pressing water challenges. Current’s core programs of Current Research, Current Demonstration, and Current Connect serve as a tech-to-market solutions platform to advance innovative water tech.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Direct the activities of Current’s Demonstration program to source, de-risk, validate, and implement innovative tech solutions for utility, commercial and industrial clients/members
- Identify water/wastewater/process water-related problems and pain points where innovative solutions are needed; source solutions according to the technical/engineering challenge and municipal utility or industrial end-user need
- Collaborate with Current’s analysts and advisors to screen and assess new technologies that could solve client needs, including technical & engineering validation, pilot/demonstration, evaluation, and guiding implementation
- Engage with Current staff on scientific/technical and economic analyses of innovative technologies that could solve water-related problems, including building techno-economic models related to water/wastewater/process water
- Use methodologically robust methods to collect and analyze data to inform techno-economic model design and implementation
- Maintain and expand Current’s database of technology solutions
- Assess the commercial readiness and market fit of emerging/growth-stage water technologies
- Maintain awareness of emerging trends in water tech innovation, water industry issues, including policy, regulatory, operational, and technological issues relevant to Current’s clients/members
- Build relationships across the water technology ecosystem from innovators to major tech providers/integrators/engineering firms, and end-users
- Prepare and present proposals to clients/members and other stakeholders
- Serve as an ambassador for Current, including via published white papers, technical papers, and conference presentations
- Support the Current Research and Current Connect programs as-needed, including program design, delivery, fund raising, communications, membership development, and other functions
- Education and Experience
- B.S. or M.S. in Chemical Engineering
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in an industrial and/or utility setting (industrial water experience preferred). Specific experience as an Application Engineer or related role a plus.
- Familiarity with wide variety of standard concepts, practices and technologies to move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment in public utility and industrial settings.
- Familiarity with applied water research and technology commercialization processes
- Familiarity with digital technologies (i.e. A/I, IoT, data integration, predictive analytics, etc.)
- Work Style
- Positive attitude, creative problem-solver
- Self-starter with passion for building a new enterprise and changing the water tech innovation paradigm
- Critical thinker with ability to sort through a range of issues and options and rationally develop a sound approach
- Eager to meet and exceed goals and targets
- Ability to handle multiple priorities, organize, plan, meet deadlines and multi-task in a fast-paced start-up environment
- Strong strategic thinking, project management, negotiation, follow-up/documentation skills
- Ability to work independently and also be a team player
- Communication Skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including comfort with public speaking/presentations
- Advanced interpersonal skills, including well-developed listening skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical teams/audiences
- Technical Skills
- Able to understand, describe, and model wide range of technologies across water/waste-water and industrial water applications
- Excellent grasp of the core principles of chemical engineering, including mass and energy balances, reaction kinetics, chemical engineering thermodynamics, and transport phenomena
- Expertise in advanced mathematics and basic principles of statistics
- Strong proficiency in MS Office; i.e. Word, Excel, Powerpoint. Basic understanding of Visual Basic programming language and knowledge of analyses software such as Matlab, Minitab etc. preferred
This position is based at our headquarters in Chicago, Illinois.
To apply, please submit cover letter and resume to Jackie Blair at firstname.lastname@example.org.